Sunday, May 20, 2012

A week in Austin, A day in New York

This past week in Austin went by in a whirl. It was so wonderful to see my family, eat great barbecue, and to visit some of my favorite Austin haunts.

Monday: Dad's famous smoked ribs 
We continued the Mother's day celebration on Monday and dad made his delicious smoked ribs. Tony and Cynthia joined us for the barbecue indulgence. It was so fun to have the entire family together for dinner.







Tuesday: Spa pampering 
For Mother's day dad treated mom (and me and Cynthia) to a spa day. We spent the morning lounging around the spa as we were treated to manicures, pedicures, and massages. Afterwards we had a late lunch of turkey soup and gourmet grilled cheese. Truly a decadent day!

Note: I forgot to get a picture with Cynthia's toes included, but I can assure you hers were equally pampered looking as ours.


Wednesday: Cuppa Joe
Went solo on Wednesday and I took the time to visit some of my favorite places in Austin. Unsurprisingly, my first stop was a coffee shop. Genuine Joe's is an Austin treasure: eclectic, friendly, and full of locally grown, made, and prepared goods. It is one of the places I wish I could just pluck up from Austin and transplant to wherever I'm living at the moment.




Thursday: Eastside Cafe close-up 
On Thursday the family reconvened for a delectable meal at the Eastside Cafe, another local Austin resto. Eastside Cafe cultivates its own backyard garden complete with chickens! Since we were a larger party, we had a bit of a wait for a table. I snapped this picture of Tony and Cynthia while we were all basking in the setting sun and awaiting our chance to sample the Eastside's cuisine.

Friday: Amy's ice creams
Friday I had to squeeze every last drop of Austin out of my visit before I departed from the south. Dad and I dined on Mexican food for lunch and then topped off a rich lunch with a richer dessert at Amy's ice creams, Austin's funky version of Coldstone (the server assured me Amy's was around before Coldstone, however). In the evening I went with Tony and Cynthia to the Alamo Drafthouse to take in one of their "Master Pancake Theatre" movies, a parodied version of the classic The Sound of Music.

Saturday: Pre-Dawn at Kerbey Lane
Very few places warrant pre-flight, pre-dawn visits, but Kerbey Lane is definitely one of them. Before my 7:30am flight, Tony, Cynthia, mom, dad, and I ventured out to the Austin "diner" to enjoy their irresistible pancakes. I had their spring special, lemon poppy seed pancakes and I was not disappointed.





Sunday: Something fishy in Manhattan 
Back in Manhattan, Rich and I ventured out to our local farmer's market this morning. Of course we couldn't miss the fresh sea food. It is great to be back in New York for the start of summer.








I'm so glad I got a chance to spend a week in Austin this year. I had a wonderful time visiting my family, my favorite places, and a few great new places. I'm lucky to have Austin as a hometown that I can always return to!

No comments:

Post a Comment