Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Re: Last Week in Toronto (a.k.a. Madness and Mayhem)

Hello all. I've arrived in New York and I'm finally able to update here. This past week was one of the most hectic weeks since I've gotten to grad school. Fortunately, I still had a few minutes to snap some pictures along the way. Needless to say, I am really happy to be in New York now and to have a little bit of recovery time after the craziness.

Monday: Swans on Lake Ontario
Monday was a very busy day and in all the chaos I forgot to take a picture. So this is from earlier this spring when Rich and I went for a walk along the lake.






Tuesday: Slavic Department
Alumni Hall is the building that houses the Slavic Department. I spend a lot of time this week in the Slavic Department marking exams, dropping off forms, and tying up loose ends.









Wednesday: Maple Leaf Gardens/ Loblaws
The Maple Leaf Gardens is the old home to the Maple Leafs, Toronto's hockey team and is only a few blocks from my apartment. This year, Much to my delight, the vacant building was turned into a large, fancy grocery store called Loblaws. During the renovations they did all sorts of things to preserve the history of the space. This sculpture made out of the old bleacher seats and formed into the shape of a maple leaf, hangs right at the main entrance of the grocery store and is a great reminder of the past uses of the building.











Thursday: Flowers and French
The French department was another place I ran in and out of this week. The department is housed in a brick building adjacent to a quaint little chapel. It looks so lovely and European especially with the spring flowers adorning its exterior.














Friday: Canadian Flag
I haven't had one of these up here yet. Friday was a breezy day and a perfect opportunity to snap a picture of the flag.
















Saturday: Construction
Almost as ubiquitous as Canadian flags, are the construction cranes erecting the dozens upon dozens of condominiums popping up around downtown Toronto.






Sunday: Old Vic
This week I spent a lot of time in the basement of this building, where I have some study space. The upstairs interiors of this building are vibrant and ornate, the basement is quite drab and plain (which is why grad students get offices there!).





Well I made it through the crazy week and now I am just setting into things here in New York. I'm really excited to start taking some pictures of my favorite places here in the city to post on the blog next week1

No comments:

Post a Comment