Monday, March 26, 2012

A weekend visit from Rich

Rich is visiting right now so I am a bit busy right now. We're having a great time enjoying Toronto!

Monday: Cabbage soup and whole wheat bread
It may not be the most glamorous meal, but cabbage soup can be really tasty on a cold winter night or even on a chilly spring evening. The whole wheat bread is my first attempt at making whole wheat bread at home. It turned out pretty tasty.






Tuesday: Film set in the park
These orange cones pop up all over town and once you see one, it is a sure sign somewhere around the corner filming for a movie or a t.v. show is going on. Toronto is a big film town (cf. Toronto International Film Festival) and it is also a cheaper location to film than L.A. or other large cities in the U.S. Tuesday morning I passed the film set in the park and of course the large cones surrounding the equipment trucks down the block.











Wednesday: Spring Awakening 
Continuing the theme of spring, I went to see a friend's production of the musical Spring Awakening. It is always nice to catch a bit of theatre, especially when a friend is involved in the production.















Thursday: Stacks in Robarts
Robarts is the main library here in Toronto (click here to read my post about University of Toronto libraries). This is a picture of the shelf I visit the most. It contains most of the books on Daniil Kharms, one of the authors I'm writing my dissertation on.














Friday: Daffodils!
On Friday my friend and neighbor surprised me with a potted daffodil plant. It is sitting on my windowsill at the moment and blooming abundantly!















Saturday: Rich Arrives
To get to and from the local airport here in Toronto you have to take a ferry between the airport, which is on an island, and mainland Toronto. If you look closely at the left hand top window you can see Rich  waving at me as he arrives!





Sunday: Maple Syrup Farms
Yesterday Rich and I rented a zip car and got out of town for a while. We went to a maple syrup farm and sampled the local fare. Quite tasty! The picture to the left is of a modern maple tree tap. All the tapped trees are connected by these purple tubes. The tubes run downhill into the "sugar shack" where the syrup is heated and purified.













I'll leave it at that for now! Next week I'll post more pictures of the adventures Rich and I have over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment