Sunday, April 15, 2012

Limbo Weeks

Now that classes are over for the semester the next few weeks will feel like limbo: There is very little structure to the days, but still a lot of work to be done before I can go relax in New York for the summer.

Monday: Elevator to the Centre
Monday was the actual last day of classes for me. Many profs like to add classes on to the end of the semester. This year was no exception. The Centre for Comparative Literature is on the 3rd floor of a theatre and to get there we must take a ride in a very slow elevator.














Tuesday: Tulip
Tulips are my favorite spring-time flowers. I got some to cheer up my apartment this week.








Wednesday: Postcards from Rich
Rich has been sending me postcards with pictures of New York on them. I've hung them up over my desk and when I a need a little motivation I look up at them and remember in a couple weeks I'll be in New York!





Thursday: Streetcar
Streetcars are one of the icons of life in Toronto and serve as a main form of public transportation in the downtown area. I love riding the streetcars. I find them to be so quaint and even calming. It is nice to watch the busy city go by as the streetcar glides along its tracks.





Friday: Hart House Theatre "Ushers' Wall" 
In the theatre the ushers have a small kitchen space, which, as you can see, we've taken to decorating. We've pinned up doodles drawn during long, boring shifts, postcards and Valentines, mementos from past productions, and of course we have our "gold star chart." The gold star chart chronicles the "silly, stupid, or amazing" things that ushers have done while working. At the end of the season the usher with the most gold stars "wins" and is rewarded with a fabulous prize (usually a shiny plastic tiara from the dollar store).


Saturday: A loonie and a toonie
Canadian currency does not have bills lower than $5 so coins are used for $2 and below. The coin to the right is a one dollar coin, called a "loonie" because of the loon pictured on the front. The coin to the left is a two dollar coin, called a "toonie" (because it rhymes with "loonie?").  As silly as it sounds, no one in Canada calls these anything but "loonie" and "toonie," not even at the bank.



Sunday: Pusateri's Fruit Market
A local, mostly organic fruit market. I stop by here if I want some fresh and local fruit and I don't have time to go to one of the larger markets in town.






That is it for this week. I'll be back next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment