Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer Summary (so far)

The summer seems to be rushing by. Most of my days are dedicated to the hum drum work at the pool and the grind of dissertation work. At the end of June I decided that I would bite the bullet and join the masters swim team I've been hoping to swim with here in New York (Red Tide Masters Swimming). So far I am loving it. I am starting off slow with 2 practices a week and I'm hoping to build on that by the fall. The practices are challenging and the swimmers are all really friendly. It is great to spend time with people who love swimming like I do.

Without further ado here are some random selections of photos from the past few weeks:

One of the books I got through this summer
was Dicken's Great Expectations. What a 
wonderful book! I highly recommend this for
anyone who is interested in a thrilling story
with some good plot twists! 

It seems like all of New York is
under construction in the summer. Here's
a shot of the Lincoln Center through 
all the construction on Broadway.

Rich is getting close to finishing up
his PhD! I've been hanging out with
him some nights in the chemistry lab
while he works. 

The Lower East Side is known for its
gritty side, but is also seeing huge growth
and some gentrification too, which makes
it an attractive place for young people (with
money) to hang out. Lots of swanky 
new hotels are going up in this area too.

Konditori is a coffee shop right next 
to the Thompson hotel where I work. 
I used to think that New York didn't have 
good coffee options, but this place has 
proved me wrong! 
 My morning walk to and from swim practice is
right through Columbus Circles, one of my favorite
parts of the city. In the morning it is so quiet
and there are so few people. It feels like being 
in a museum after hours. 
 As you may know, one of the highlights of my summer
so far was the chance I got to appear on David Letterman.
I didn't take many pictures while I was there, but I did snap
this quick shot in the green room. All of the guests who had waited in
this green room (they had at least 3 different green rooms)had
signed the wall and the air ducts! 

 I hope everyone is staying cool and finding some time to relax this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment