Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympics!

Hi everyone. I apologize for my absence last week. This summer is turning out to be way more hectic than I anticipated. I am spending most of my time between two places: the pool and the apartment (specifically at the desk where I'm doing my dissertation work) and unfortunately that doesn't make for very many interesting or varied photo opportunities. So, this week will be a compilation of the past two weeks into one.

Before I begin I just want to take a moment to gush about how excited I am for the Olympics. The summer Olympics are one of the most exciting times for the sport of swimming since we get highlighted and are put up front and center for the country to see. I just love all the attention the sport gets around this time, not to mention all of the dramatic swims we get to see. If you've missed it there are two very entertaining youtube videos circulating right now: 1) The US Olympic swim team lip syncing to this summer's big song, Carly Rae Jepson's "Call Me Maybe" and 2) A parody of this highlighting Ryan Lochte's win over Michael Phelps in the men's 400 IM. Both are great and exemplify the hype surrounding swimming this summer. I could write pages and pages of commentary about swimming in the Olympics, but I'll spare you and move on to the photos.

Monday: Morningside Park
The apartment in Manhattan is right next to Morningside Park, a small park that is situated on a steep cliff. Recently I've decided to walk along the park in the morning instead of the busy street. It is a very calming view, even on rainy days.





Tuesday: Snack bar at the pool 
The pool at Rye Golf Club has a snack bar, which on long, hot days is a big relief for the lifeguards. When we start feeling weary or tired they always have delicious iced tea and iced coffee for us. Also, it is great to chat with my friends working in the snack bar when I need a break from staring at the pool.



Wednesday: The Hot Car
When riding the subway it is usually preferable to get on a car that is less occupied. That way your chances of getting a seat are better. However, if you happen upon an entirely empty car beware. This car resembles a ghost town for a reason: It is not air conditioned. I happened to get on one of these cars this week, but since I was going only a few stops I decided to tough it out and I got a few good pictures of the distinctive yellow and orange chairs while I was at it.










Thursday: Union Square
Union Square park is at the centre of the east portion of downtown. It is a hub for street artists, protesters, tourists, and vendors. Most days of the week there is also one of New York's largest farmer's market in the park. On days when I feel I need a scenery change, I'll head down to Union Square. It feels worlds away from my neighborhood on the Upper West Side.














Friday: 110th Street Subway 
One of the nicest things about the subways in New York is the beautiful tiling and decorative work that still exists at the stations. Among the dirt and the occasional rat, the historical artwork of the subways stands out and is a reminder of the city's history.






Saturday: Hummingbirds from the porch 
Rich and I spent the weekend in New Jersey visiting his family (and watching the Olympics of course!). One of everyone's favorite pastimes during the summer is bird watching on the porch. I was lucky to catch a couple shots of the elusive hummingbirds flitting around the yard. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take some better shots at the end of the summer.







Sunday: More from the porch 
This is definitely one of the most relaxing places to spend a nice summer day.










I hope everyone is getting a chance to tune into the Olympics or follow them online! Have an Olympic-ally great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment