Sunday, July 8, 2012

Belated post: July 1st

Today I'll be posting twice since I missed last week. As the pool gets busier I get increasingly tired and somehow last Sunday I was asleep before I could even remember to put up my pictures.

Monday:  Watch the Gap
The warning I see every morning as I step on the train. I've never seen any one trip or have a run in with "the gap." I wonder why they don't have something like "be careful of extremely fast moving trains" or "don't fall on the tracks" or something of that sort. I feel there are so many other dangers around the train tracks. "The gap" is the least of those, is it not?


Tuesday: Big blurry bird
There is a large white crane (heron? ibis?) that inhabits a pond near the pool. I'm continually trying capture a good picture of this bird. On Tuesday it swept across the road, perched itself on the little stone bridge across the pond, and then swooped dramatically away. I only had a couple seconds to pull out my camera before it hid itself in the foliage. I got my picture, though it is a little blurry.


Wednesday: The Hours
Following Mrs. Dalloway I decided to read a book based on Virginia Woolf's classic, The Hours. The writing in this book is equally exquisite as Woolf's work. It is a complicated story of three women in three different time periods and deals with pro-feminist issues. The novel won the Pulitzer prize in 1999 and in 2001, as you may recall, the book was made into a movie starring Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, and Nicole Kidman.


Thursday: Moonrise over St. John the Divine
I was strolling around on Thursday evening when I caught a glimpse of the moon rising over the local Episcopalian cathedral, St. John the Divine. A beautiful sight on a summer evening!















Friday: Tips for the unemployed
Seen walking past a local bar: "No Job? Drinking Helps. Internships Available."









Saturday: Hungarian Pastry Shop
On Saturday I spent the afternoon reading in the Hungarian Pastry Shop, a neighborhood favorite for dessert and bottomless coffee. The Hungarian Pastry Shop provides an array of unnamable confections. The baked goods do not bear American names like "cherry pie" or "chocolate cake." They are rather, foreign pastries with names like "roulade" or "dobos" or "stephania." Usually I order by pointing, as if I were in a bakery oceans away from New York city.


Sunday: Olympic Litter
The summer olympics are on their way and even the trash on the street is advertising it! I am very excited to watch the swimming this year. It is great to have my favorite sport highlighted in the news and on television every 4 years.







That is all for this morning! I'll be posting this week's pictures tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment