Sunday, June 3, 2012

Let the pool season begin!

Memorial Day weekend has officially passed and that means time for the pools to be open! Congrats to my little brother, Robert, on his graduation this past weekend. I wish I could've been there. We are all so proud of you in all your academic achievements. I can't wait to hear about your adventures in college!

Monday: Memorial Day
On Memorial Day I began battling a cold that has plagued me all week. Mostly I spent the beautiful sunny day in bed staring at this American flag on the wall across from me (at least it was patriotic, right?).








Tuesday: Harrison train station
To get to work at the pool I take the bus across Harlem to the Metro North station. From the Metro North station I take the train to a little town called Harrison and then I walk to Rye where the pool is.





Wednesday: Macedonian Sunscreen
At the pool I manage, many of the lifeguards are brought over for the summer from Macedonia. As you can imagine this sometimes leads to some interesting cultural and language situations. This politically incorrect sunscreen is just one of many examples that I encounter at work. The front is all in English (for advertising purposes) but the back is completely in Macedonian. Unfortunately, I think someone must have mistranslated the intended English name for the product. I don't think I'll be finding suntan/sunscreen products called "Black Up" in my local CVS any time soon.









Thursday:  "It's great to live in Harrison"
As I said above I take the train to a town called Harrison and then walk to the pool from there. Harrison looks like your stereotypical American small town with shady trees canopying the streets and American flags by the doors of each locally-owned business. I always smile to myself when I pass this sign. It says at the very bottom, "It's great to live in Harrison."












Friday: Cold, cold go away
The cold I began to battle on Monday persisted all the way through the weekend. When it got to the weekend -and my days off- I realized just how bad I was feeling. I don't remember much of Friday or Saturday, just the few moments when I was awake to take some more NyQuil or eat a bowl of soup.













Saturday: Is the cold gone yet?
Gatordade: one of the necessary accoutrements for my lingering cold.










Sunday: Rainbow after the rain
After a long week of rain and coughs and colds, I am feeling better and as icing on the cake we were met with a rainbow this afternoon! Dolly Parton said, "the way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." And I guess she is right.







I hope everyone is having a peaceful Sunday evening and maybe even seeing a few rainbows of their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment