Monday, September 12, 2011

A trip to Greg's Ice Cream

Well September is back and that means I'm back to school and back to Toronto after having survived the wrathful (or the slightly cross) Irene. The start of the semester has been busy as usual, but I did make time for a back-to-Toronto adventure. I have recently recruited my Torontonian friend, Christine, to be my guide for all things Toronto. To start off the year (and to take advantage of one of the last warm days before the cold) we went to a local ice cream parlor, Greg's.

On the outside, Greg's seems like a pretty normal type of shop. In fact, I would have likely passed it up on my own and moved towards one of the more flashy-looking and trendy yogurt shops, which were conspicuously lining the street. I quickly learned that would have been a mistake.
A simple front- deceivingly simple

Once we were inside, I was elated to see a great menu of creative ice cream flavors (or "flavours," if you're Canadian): stout, banana nut, smarties, maple cream, cinana (banana + cinnamon). I couldn't decide which flavor to try first. After much deliberation and a couple samples,  I chose a scoop of maple cream and a scoop of cinnamon. Christine informed me that all of the ice cream is made using a sweet cream base and real ingredients are added to flavor it (not artificial flavorings). The cinnamon was made with real cinnamon and the maple cream was made with real maple syrup and you could taste it!

Note the Canadian/French spelling of the word "flavors."
While enjoying our ice cream, we chatted with the girl behind the counter who is a friend of Christine's. She informed us that pumpkin ice cream would be arriving soon and I decided then and there that ice cream is no longer a warm-weather-only indulgence. I'll most definitely be breaking from my work this semester to venture back and taste their Greg's fall-flavored treats!

Note: Photos were borrowed from blogTO's review of Greg's Ice Ceam

No comments:

Post a Comment